About the NCC‎ > ‎

History

The Newtown Country Club, founded in 1915, is a private club located in the center of Newtown, Connecticut. Our club provides its members with a challenging 9 hole golf course, and a welcoming clubhouse.

Newtown Country Club was organized in December 1915 by a group of outstanding citizens of the town of Newtown. Two corporations were formed; Newtown Country Realty, Inc. was formed to buy the land and buildings for a golf course and Newtown Country Club, Inc.; to form an organization for the purpose of pursing the games of golf and tennis.

The original clubhouse was located on Rte. 25 and the surrounding properties formed a nine hole golf course and tennis courts. The tennis court was located in what is now the paved portion of the parking lot.

In 1917, the club had a membership of about 100 people. During the late 1930's the second and third fairways were used as a softball field on Sunday afternoons. Many of the Newtown Country Club members played on these teams.

Through the years constant change took place; and included the selling of the original clubhouse and approximately one-half acre of land. In the 1960's a two-story clubhouse was built, but unfortunately destroyed by fire in 1974. The present clubhouse was built to replace it; and a view room was added several years later.

Many special events have taken place at Newtown Country Club. The great Gene Sarazen gave an exhibition in May 1936. Several years ago, the Masters Champion, Fred Couples played here while in the area attending his caddies wedding; Joe Lacava, Jr.

Newtown Country club is an integral part of Newtown's history and has thrived to become one of the finest nine hole course in the State of Connecticut.